My mediation practice is supported by over twenty years of experience in resolving business and commercial disputes through direct negotiation, mediation, arbitration and trial. I am a mediator because it is exceptionally gratifying to help parties end their disputes by agreement, thereby controlling their destinies, limiting their risks and freeing them to focus their energy on new and more positive opportunities.
Before opening my own litigation boutique in 2009, I was a partner in the business litigation section of a large national law firm headquartered in Texas. I have represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts, in disputes ranging from the simple to the highly complex, including mass and class actions. The businesses I represented ranged from entrepreneurs to Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies.
My experience covers a broad variety of industries. I have resolved litigation for banks, private banks, broker dealers, securities brokers, consulting companies, engineering companies, engineers, oil companies, oil and gas production companies, oilfield equipment manufacturers, offshore construction companies, distributors, aircraft brokers, health care providers, personnel companies, recruiters, insurance companies, media companies, broadcasters, general contractors, real estate developers, commercial property owners and property management companies.
My experience also spans a wide variety of claims, including, but not limited to, contract and quasi-contract theories, fiduciary duty claims, conversion, theft, negligence, nuisance, libel, slander, business disparagement, fraud, securities fraud, securities violations, premises liability theories and product liability theories. I am experienced in claims asserted to pierce business organizations and impose personal liability on the business owners, and I have significant experience with cases involving claims for injunctive relief.
Although I have lived and worked in Houston and its suburbs for the last 25 years, and Dallas before that, I was born and raised in a small central Texas city. As a result, I have enjoyed resolving cases filed in less populated counties throughout my career, and I sometimes travel to mediate cases in cities and towns outside of the greater Houston area.
I have both basic and advanced mediation training; thus, I am qualified to mediate business disputes as well as family law cases, which tend to comprise the largest number of civil cases in Texas state courts.
My upbringing emphasized a hearty sense of fairness, a healthy sense of humor and a strong work ethic. I am committed to giving my all to help others resolve their differences.
Career Highlights & Community Involvement:
- Ancillary Proceedings Task Force appointed by the Supreme Court of Texas for consideration of revisions to the ancillary rules in the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, Injunctive Subcommittee Co-Chairperson, 2008-2012
- “Texas Rising Star” (Thompson Reuters, 2004-2006)
- Board of Directors, Houston West Chamber of Commerce, 2005-present, Chairman in 2008 & 2011
- Women Driving Business Committee, Houston West Chamber of Commerce, 2004-Present
- Board of Directors, South Texas College of Law Alumni Association, 1998-2005
- Panel Member, State Bar of Texas Grievance Panel, 1998-2004
- State Bar of Texas Advertising Review Committee, 2010-2013
Bar Admission and Memberships:
- State of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Houston Bar Association
- Fort Bend County Bar Association
- Katy Bar Association
- Association of Attorney Mediators (application pending)
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Basic Mediation Training from Mediators of Texas
- Advanced Mediation Training from Mediators of Texas
J.D. South Texas College of Law, 1995, magna cum laude
- Outstanding Female Graduate Award
- Note and Comment Editor, South Texas Law Review
- Langdell Scholar
- Order of the Lytae
B.B.A., Accounting, Texas A&M University, 1983, magna cum laude
- Dean’s List
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Phi Kappa Phi